Monday, November 30, 2009

Language - How important role it has?

Lately we have been interacting with a lot of companies,Vlerick alumni and other recruiting partners and one thing that has come out clearly in the discussions is the necessity of fluency in Dutch/French for about half the companies. Before starting in Vlerick I was aware of the language factor but my assessment was that about one fourth of the companies are particular about local language.

Most of my classmates are taking classes for Dutch/French alongside the course including me. I must emphasise that firms that have typically European operations are more particular about local language than those that have global operations. However knowing the local language comes handy if you plan to work in Europe. The requirement of fluency in local language definitely makes it more challenging for non-Europeans to find suitable jobs.

Lets hope for the best.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, thats true Language would play an important role in order to get job in Belgium easily. But is it necessary to learn Dutch for better future after doing the course at Vlerick ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Raghav

    Learning Dutch is more advantageous if you want to work in Belgium/Holland, otherwise I would suggest French,since it is more international in usage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Sandeep

    I am graduated in German language itself from JNU New Delhi. Do i still need to learn some other Language? Or i should study something else in order to make my CV appropriate for Vlerick? Please guide me...

    I would like to have few words with you.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Raghav

    Knowledge of German adds to your profile surely.For application purpose Vlerick does not mandate any foreign language.Knowing one would help you in finding jobs in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you, language is very inportant.

    ReplyDelete